Recently Played...

« Home | Loss » | Christians can miss it... » | The Worship Freehouse: Who Am I? » | Old thoughts... » | Change... » | Check this out » | "Killing" the Bible » | More of Hawaii » | I wish it was warm » | Le Parkour? » 

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 

Post Emergent?

Five reasons why this guy is Post Emergent.

1. The conversation still looks to much like the old conversation, white, male and academic. The dominant culture still dominates.
2. The values behind the conversation aren’t readily expressed in actions. No generous orthopraxis to go with the generous orthodoxy. (see my previous post)
3. The lexicon of the white European theological framework which still dominates. There is very little inclusion of black theologians and the theological framework of people of color. People of color seem to be included in the conversation only if they are willing to use this language and framework. It seems we all need to read NT Wright in order to have any credibility.
4. Talk, talk and more talk. My experience is we love to talk about this stuff but other than retro worship stuff we don’t get around to acting on it. Even so talk about diversity has never come to the fore. I want to be the church and act like the church not just talk like the church.
5. Ultimately its about relationships and I have made some good ones which go beyond the whole emergent (non movement) thing. So I’ll go about the spiritual practice of reconciliation through relationships with my brothers and sisters and leave emergent tag to others.

I am starting to believe that there is alot of truth to what he is saying. The popular ideas of change in our churches are not always tagged as emergent, but the basic idea is the same. The idea that we talk to much and have very little action is something that has been a problem for a long time. Even Solomon warned of talking to much in Ecclessiaties. The "retro" worship stuff we talk about often becomes just a different order of worship and a differnt "look." Instead of traditional worship services with "fellowship" before or after, we replaced it will fancy coffee times and call it changed. I don't buy that. True change is attitude. I agree, its about relationships and we need to change the way we approach these relationships. Away from the "us and them" mentality towards thinking about the community as a whole, not just OUR community.

This has nothing to do with the actual content of your blog. Please change the style (i.e., color) of your blog. The white on black is difficult to read and not very attractive to look at.
Otherwise, keep talking. People's thoughts are always interesting.

I really enjoy the black and white as it is consistent with a portfolio look. But hey, its just a matter of preference, and coming from a graphic design side of me, white and black isn't always bad. Whatever.
Hey, why post ananymous, is this Greg, trying to just get a rise out of me?

Speak your mind

About me

  • I'm Daryl
  • From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ddgrunau. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates