Recently Played...

« Home | Libby is crawling!!! » | 007 not Daniel Craig... » | Windows Vista!?!? » | Xbox anyone » | Excerpts from my playlist » | Blogger Tool added » | Libby's First Christmas » | Libby's first Christmas photo » | Snowsuit? » | Daddy and Libby » 

Thursday, February 08, 2007 

Liturgy and Fixed Hour Prayer

Recently, I have come to discover liturgy and especially prayer books. Coming from a strong evangelical background this was something very different to me, something that years earlier I would have scoffed at for being to repetitive and legalistic. However, as my wife and I have become apart of an establishing 24-7Prayer community in Saskatoon, I have found that establishing "rhythms" of prayer to be vastly important. The first rhythm of prayer I established was in the 24-7prayer communities prayer room where I have been taking time each month for lengthy times of prayer. These time slots in the prayer room have been great times to get away and to hear from God and to cry out to him. The next rhythm, which I am still struggling with, is to withhold the "hours" of prayer. To learn about the history of fixed hour prayer click here. I have picked up the prayer book The Divine Hours which is also available online here.

I just read a blog on repetitive prayers and liturgy that I thought was great. Read the comments as well as there is some great conversation taking place. Give it a read, its not long. Read The Liturgy of Marriage

Hope this spurs you on to a better prayer life and to help establish rhythms of prayer in your life.

Labels:

thanks for the post ... i think i'll link to this today ...

::dan::

Why do we as humans insist on fully swinging one way or the other? Why can we not aim for more of a balance between two extremes? It's this way for most things in life! By the way, I really like the link to the marriage-example post!

Speak your mind

About me

  • I'm Daryl
  • From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ddgrunau. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates