Recently Played...

« Home | Sabbath Rest » | Praying for the Lost » | Prayer for the Week » | E-Mail Addiction? » | 100th Post » | The Prayer for the Week » | Posing » | Geeking out » | For my love » | Prayer for the Week » 

Friday, March 02, 2007 

Creativity vs Copying

Have you ever noticed the catchy way in which we as Christian tend to copy others ideas to use instead of using our own God given creativity? Let me explain alittle... The first thing I can pick on (which many people would hopefully agree with me) are things such as the witnessing tools I recently found online that had clever sayings printed onto poker chips to give to your friends, or the Testa-Mint candy that I've seen for sale in Christian Bookstores, or even the EvangaCube. (ask me about that later if you don't know what that is) While maybe people would laugh at these and write them off as cheesy, whUpgrade to a higher power hat about these examples...Making a series of talks with a theme around the TV show "24", or having a cool t-shirt for your church youth group that is based off a popular brand name like American Eagle or Old Navy and just changing it enough. Or how about making a logo design for a ministry that looks very similar to a larger corporation. What about stealing Bible study material, sermon outlines, illustrations, or other Christian material for use in your own ministry. Many would say that graphic design, such as t-shirts and advertising are different than using others material for ministry. As I deal in both of these words being a youth worker for YFC, as well as graphic design that I do as apart of my job. I have always tried very hard to not steal other graphic designers work and to use my God given creativity in each of my designs, however, I feel that I am abnormal in this respect when it comes to many other Christian graphic arts I see. I know that if I saw my design being copied without permission I would be upset. Why do so many Christian's copy others and see no problem with it? How is graphic design any different than ministry materials? We pay for devotional books, and teaching curriculum so why do we steal others great ideas without permission. Do we lack creativity? This is something that people I am around hold different beliefs and thoughts on. I even feel that within the organization I work for we have different opinions. As a Christian, that is seeking out truth and trying to live out his faith in everything that he does, this is an area I would love to hear what others think. Is it okay to borrow others ideas for ministry, whether it's graphics, logos, or Bible studies or is there a difference between the two ideas?

Where does copying end and inspiration begin? There's nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from an artist, but plagiarizing work is clearly wrong.

One example:
During the early '90s, different skateboard brands started using mainstream brand logos, but changing them just enough to add their own brand name or slogan, and it was cool, fresh, and rebellious. I thought it was hilarious. 15 years later, the irony is lost on most consumers, and some people still insist on using this "style" as a replacement for their apathy, or lack of creativity, or whatever. It's a little embarrassing to see how many churches and youth groups have made this their style.

Love the example as well as the return question about copying versus inspiration. I believe that we need to be seeking out inspiration in our design and style in our Churches as much as we seek out the truth in what we teach.

I think there's a difference between doing something that looks "current" and outright copying. However, I also think the church could do a better job at being more creative and becoming trendsetters themselves. Come on, take a little risk!

maybe like designing a cool shirt that has butterflies on it that even guys would wear. sounds pretty trend setting to me doesn't it...

Oh, I definitely think you're starting a trend...

Speak your mind

About me

  • I'm Daryl
  • From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
My profile
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ddgrunau. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates